Subject: NTP on Quadra 840AV
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Oliver Humpage <oliver@watershed.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2001 12:30:12
Hello all, and apologies for a slightly long post...

I recently installed NetBSD 1.5 on a Quadra 840AV - worked perfectly, first
time. I've already got BIND and netatalk installed. However, I quite wanted
it to be a time server (just for the Macs in the office).

Having searched the archives, I now see that this is a Bad Idea (TM). The
Quadra 840AV loses time horribly (about 5 minutes or more an hour).
However.....

The problem is, I can't even get ntpd to work properly. Although the daemon
runs (ps -aux), it refuses to connect to the time servers I put in the
/etc/ntp.conf file. Nor can I telnet to port 123 (connection refused), so it
isn't listening either. Secondly, ntpdate won't run while ntpd is running
("ntp port in use"), so I can't seem to get the Quadra to have the correct
time anyway. (Would ntpd set the time properly if it was actually working?)

My problem may be as simple as my /etc/ntp.conf file, which looks like:

pidfile         /var/run/ntpd.pid
driftfile       /var/db/ntp.drift
logconfig       all
server [a time server that I know works with ntpdate] prefer
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 9

However, I also want to install NetBSD on an LC III. Could I run ntpdate on
that, somehow sync the time to the Quadra (timed?) and still run ntpd on the
Quadra? Would this be a sensible idea? Could anyone vaguely guide me through
it? Although I'm not a complete newbie, I'm not that experienced either.

With many thanks for any help,

Oliver.

PS My normal job is maintaining an AppleShare IP server. NetBSD is just a
*dream* compared to it. So stable!

--
Oliver Humpage
ICT Technician, Watershed Media Centre