Subject: Re: Hard Drive Size
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/2001 21:15:19
Guess I need to point out when I wrote that the Install Documentation was
available at:

  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/INSTALL.*

That I mean there are multiple files there.  HTML, PS, TXT, and MORE
format.

The files are:

  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/INSTALL.html
  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/INSTALL.more
  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/INSTALL.ps
  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/INSTALL.txt

They are all the same file, just presented in different formats.  It
appears some people are trying to download a file named "INSTALL.*" and
that obviously isn't correct.

-bob

Matthew Theobalds wrote:

>Not so long ago Paul Bowen said:
>
>> Does the NetBSD installer have a problem with large HDs?
>
>Basically, yes, I believe it does.
>
>But... That's the Mac OS installation method. There is another, from within
>NetBSD -- sysinst.
>
>You may wish to look into this. I'm going to do one myself at some point and
>document it. But until then, your best bet is to hunt around on
>www.netbsd.org. I believe there are some already good docs there.

I don't think the documentation is there, but you can find a copy on my
system.

  ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/INSTALL.*

If one partitions the disk first under MacOS, then boots up the
Installation kernel to do the installation it should work just fine.
Installation Kernels are available for 1.4.2, 1.4.3, and 1.5 I beleive.
You'll have to install from a CDROM, FTP or NFS filesystem as HFS/HFS+
isn't supported yet.  I've sucessfully used this to install on disks as
large as 18Gig without any problems.