Subject: Re: Hard Drive Size
To: Julian <j_ebeli@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/2001 11:32:35
Julian wrote:
> I've been trying to install OpenBSD and NetBSD on a Centris 650. I have
> a Seagate 4Gig HD from an old server. The first 2Gig is devoted to MacOS
> 7.5.5 and the rest is for BSD, ie after the 2Gig partition. Is this the
> reason the install crashes with a "d
> isk mount"? error? The partitions are there, the Makefs app sees them
> alright. I had Linux booting without problems.

many people have found that the various installation tools (and the kernel
as well) work better when the netbsd partition is within the first GB or
so of the disk.  i'm not sure why this is the case, but that's just they
way it works.  if you could repartition your disk and put the BSD
partition first, it will probably work for you.

we are working on newer installation tools that will avoid these kinds of
problems (we hope).

-colin