Subject: Re: Endless Install problems w/ 660av
To: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/2001 00:16:09
At 12:22 AM -0500 2/3/2001, Josh Kuperman wrote:
>Actually If I could figure out how to do a network install and
>have emacs available immediately when the install finished I'd be
>completely happy. (at least for a while)>

Unfortunately, you're stuck with vi and friends until you can install
the emacs package.

>I've determined that my ethernet is detected as mc0. I was able to get
>out by manually issuing the ifconfig and route commands. I also had to
>created resolv.conf.

I think the only files you have to edit are /etc/hosts, /etc/rc.conf,
/etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/ifconfig.* You may be able to put the
ifconfig info in /etc/rc.local, I don't know. (I'm trying to be more
specific... it's a good habit to get into.)

>The install instructions say to add "ifconfig_mc0="inet .... ". Does
>that create the files, someplace. I couldn't find any files like the
>ones you described. Are they supposed to be in the /etc directory. I
>suspect I'll figure this one out by just going through the rc files.

I think the proper way to configure ethernet cards has changed in
1.5, but I have  a feeling that if you just created an
/etc/ifconfig.mc0 file containing

inet 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0

you'll be fine. The line you described might be something that is
supposed to be added to rc.local. I guess it makes sense to have it
there so the networking info is somewhat more centralized.

Good luck,
Daniel