Subject: Re: Endless Install problems w/ 660av
To: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
From: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/2001 18:59:27
At 8:59 PM -0500 2/2/2001, Josh Kuperman wrote:
>Anyhow, after I tried to reboot, I kept getting the following
>oddities. from /dev/ttyE0. After the file system checks. I got
>
>Setting tty flags.
>ttyflags: open /dev/ttyE0: No such file or directory

Heh. This is because you weren't using the latest installer. (It was
only updated to fix this very recently, so that's not surprising.) To
fix it, boot single user, then

# mount -rw /
# cd /dev
# sh ./MAKEDEV all

>setting sysctl variables:
>starting network.
>logger: not found
>/etc/rc: WARNING $hostname not set.

This is set in /etc/rc.conf. There will be a line that says
hostname="" which you should set to roberta or Roberta or whatever.
You should also set the defaultroute="" line to the IP address of
your router.

>a whole lot fo net stuff I don't thing did me any good because it is
>not configured. And then after a while - the time is wrong on the
>machine - I get a message about being unable to open a terminal.

NetBSD/mac68k looses time like, well, something that leaks a lot.
(OK, I'm maybe a little tired. Cut me some slack. ;-) I run ntpdate
as a cron job... just run crontab -e (while logged on as root) and
add the following line to the bottom of the file (or somewhere in
there):

@hourly                                 /usr/sbin/ntpdate
time.apple.com > /dev/null

I don't think the crontab file likes blank lines, so be careful. You
should probably replace time.apple.com with a couple of timeservers
close to you.

>Feb 3 01:12:17 getty[169] /dev/ttyE0: No such file or directory

This will be fixed by the first fix I mentioned.

>1. Is there a way to break into the boot process and get any kind of
>shell. I tried to hit control-C a few times and someother characters
>but it just displays on the screen.

Dunno about this.

>2. What do I need to do to configure networking? The machines IP is
>(or should be) 192.168.1.3. And the machines name is Roberta. I'm
>using a LinkSys Cable DSL ('cos I have dsl) router at the moment for
>NAT to get out, but I have other machines her working on my lan.
>Frankly if I can configure networking well enough from the single user
>shell so I can telnet in, I won't care about getting the local device
>for a monitor working.

Do what I said above, setup DNS stuff in /etc/resolv.conf, and edit
/etc/hosts. I would put a line like the following in /etc/hosts:

192.168.1.3	Roberta	roberta

You also need to set up the appropriate ifconfig.* file(s) -- one
file for each ethernet card. For instance, I have an ifconfig.ae0 and
an ifconfig.ae1 because I have two ethernet cards. You can get a list
of all of the various network devices (? -- not sure what they are
called, really... things like sn0, ae0, etc.) by running ifconfig -a

Each file contains a line like the following:

inet roberta netmask 255.255.255.0

"roberta" could also be replaced with your IP address.

>3. How can I get a working terminal? What is /dev/ttyE0? Should I
>download something I'm missing or do I have to build a specific device
>myself. Should I even be using this device?

IIRC, /dev/ttyE0 is a serial line. The problem is caused by a bug in
the installer, but it's pretty easy to fix. See above.

HTH,
Daniel