Subject: Endless Install problems w/ 660av
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2001 21:22:32
I hope you all will forgive this message, as I'm asking for help with
a problem that might not even reproduce itself. I'm sending this as
the installer is running.  I've been trying repeatedly to get a
working installation. Once or twice I've gone as far as the single
user shell, many times I've wound up in the debugger. I suspect I have
some odd hardware problem that I can't quite pin down or I that I'm
missing some of the intermediate steps that are required between
running the installer and getting in to "production" boot mode. BTW,
even knowing what parts I can skip repeating will help. If its just
some ifconfig command or something to configure the monitor (I'm using
the origingl Mac monitor that came with the 660av) I will be very
annoyed at the amount of time its taking me to get a useable
installation.

When I'm done I want to run a basic (very basic) web and mail
server. Nothing large but something that I can check out configuring
programs and perl scripts on. Maybe run a Mailman mailing list for
close personal friends. Basically I want to stick my 660av under my
desk and run it as a headless server on 192.168.1.3 until it
dies. I've worked as a Systems Administrator in a Sun environment and
have been dealing with Linices for the last year or two. (This causes
people to mistakenly believe I know what I'm doing, but thats off
topic).

My system is a Mac Quadra (aka Centris) 660av w/ 68M of RAM and 1.2G
approx HD from APS and an ethernet connection. I configured the HD
using the patched version of HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (downloading the
software from apple and the patch from
http://www.euronet.nl/users/ernstoud/patch.html.  I am using a CD from
Bob Nestor (whatever he was shipping last week) but the reason I
ordered the CD was I was having trouble installing before I ordered
it. I was having to download sets a few at a time to install because I
was installing off of a rather small Mac partition.

Her is what I've been trying and what's been happening more or less
and I'm going through this again as I type so it should be fairly
accurate.:

I use HD SC Setup to create partitions. My initial plan was for five
Unix partitions:/,swap,/usr,/var, and /home. I changed this to four
when for some reason, mysterious to me I could not mount the last
partition when I had five. I would issue command "mount /dev/sd0g
/usr" with no problem but when I tried "mount /dev/sd0f /var" I got
some SCSI error messages. I would reformat the partitions in order to
clean them up. ( At least one time in the process needed files weren't
created because they already existed). I decided to go back to 5 for
testing. HD SC is reporting them as follows:

16K *Mac Driver
90000K * Hard drive
102400K Apple_Unix_SVR2 (/)
139264K Apple_Unix_SVR2 (swap)
600224K Apple_Unix_SVR2 (/usr)
79331K  Free A/UX slice 4 (/var)
240669K Free A/UX slice 3 (/home)
My intention for these partition are in parenthesis.

Then I would proceed to us mkfs to change and format the partition for
BSD. This seems to work. Reporting NetBSD/mac68k mkfs v1.47 utility
with my Quantum Fireball TM1280S selected by default. I check OK. I
change Root to NetBSD Root, swap to swap and everything else to NetBSD
Usr. I format all of them, even though it is probably unecessary for
some.

Then I start the installer. The Quantum Fireball is the only choice. I
chose Build Devices first thinking that some of the devices need to be
created by this process before on can mount them. I go into the minishell and create the /usr, /var, and /home directories. Disklabel reports
sd0a : root
sd0g : Usr
sd0b : swap
sd0d : HFS
sd0e : Usr
sd0f : Usr

I issue the mount commands:
mount /dev/sd0g /usr
mount /dev/sd0e /home
mount /dev/sd0f /var

and this time it works. (But it did give me an error message for no
reason before). I proceeded with the commands:

fstab force
quit

Go to install from the NetBSD-1.5_mac68K CD arch:mac68k:binary: and
add teh netbsd.Generic-0.tgz kernel and everything in the sets: base,
comp, etc.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us