Subject: Re: Network performance
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2001 00:47:23
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:19:23PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:
> At 09:50 PM 1/31/2001 -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> >How long does it take to just read the file?
> >(Something like "time dd if=filename of=/dev/null bs=64k" will test this)
> >As Dave Huang pointed out, the disk driver is not yet using DMA on this
> >machine.  Anyone have a machine want to work on this?  It would be nice
> >to have...  I don't have an 840AV or 660AV...  ;-)
>
> So I noticed.  What's required?  I've love DMA on my 840AV.  assuming
> the -current esp driver now works with it.

The -current esp driver doesn't understand AV DMA.  What's required
is someone to reverse-engineer enough of the AV DMA engine to get it
working.  I don't know what this will take; it might take disassembly
of the MacOS drivers.  David Huang figured out enough to get the MACE
ethernet going.

It's not rocket science, but it is going to be some work.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service