Subject: No boot into multi user level
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ottmar Schmitt <keragan@netcologne.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/2001 16:48:24
Hi,

I need some help.

1. My software: MacOS 7.1 and NetBSD 1.5 for 68k installed without X
but with base, etc, kern, man.

2. My hardware: Apple LC II, 10MB Ram, internal SCSI hard disk 700
MB, PDS ethernet card, Apple 14" display and the
	Partitions: MacOS 208MB, root 168 MB, swap 48 MB, usr 291 MB

3. My problems:

I installed NetBSD following the INSTALL.html description, but

/ is only mounted read-only in single user mode; if I do a mount -rw
I am asked to do fsck; /usr is not mounted; but fstab contains the
lines for root and usr with the options rw.

If I do vi rc.conf and set rc_configured=YES and hostname=xyz...
I am running into a dead end.

The last line I get is:
the_date the_hostname getty[180] : /dev/ttyE0 : no such file or directory

after that line the system does not go further.

With the minishell of the installer I can see there is a /dev/ttye0
but not a /dev/ttyE0.

If I add the line wscons=YES the last line is slightly different:
... /dev/ttyEcfg : no such file or directory

These events do not depend on export TERM=vt220 or export TERM=vt100
and it does not depend on which kernel I use (I tried all which came
with 1.5 and the kernel from 1.4.3)

After having installed the linux 6 times I do not what to do to succeed.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

TIA

P:S.: It would be nice to have with the booter the choice 1. "boot
into single user level" and 2. "boot into multi user level", that
would be better then to cpin an original rc.conf with the installer
to have the chance to boot into single user again without
reinstalling all.

I am in a trap, because there is no possibil
Freundliche Gruesse
Ottmar Schmitt
keragan@netcologne.de