Subject: Re: fs trouble
To: GriZzle <netbsdlist@abma.dhs.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/2001 14:40:00
At 6:59 PM +0100 1/12/01, GriZzle wrote:
>Hi, i am running NetBSD 1.5 on a Mac IIci with a 160 MB Internal drive to
>boot MacOS and a 1 GB Jaz Cartridge. The file system is setup as
>
>--
>80 MB = /
>64 MB = Swap
>527 MB = /usr
>150 MB = /var
>60 MB = /tmp
>190 MB = /home
>--
>
>df does not show the right amount of free space, on the drive. Any user
>other than root cannot write to drives which show up as full, or negative
>free space on the drive, but root can write without a problem, can you
>give me some advise or a way to fix this problem. Thank you

As I recall the problem was traced to an incorrect initialization in
one of the MacOS utilities used during installation.  The only fix I
know of is to reparition your disk and reinstall (using the current
versions of the installer and mkfs).

As to root being able to write but nobody else:  10% free space is
reserved on every partition and user processes cannot fill the
partition beyond 90%.  Root is exempt from the restriction so the
system should never crash because a user filled up the disk.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.