Subject: Re: Performa RAMM
To: Matt Herzog <mherzog@mediaone.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/2000 09:38:21
Matt Herzog wrote:

>Hi All.
>I need to get a 32 MB module for my Performa550 which
>now only has I think 8 or 10 MB. Can anyone tell me
>if that's the maximum amount this motherboard can
>accept? Also can anyone recommend where I can purchase
>the 32 MB SIMM cheap? Will it be EDO?

The Performa-550 has 4Meg soldered on the Motherboard and one open SIMM
slot that can accept a 1Meg, 4Meg, 8Meg, 16Meg, or 32Meg SIMM.  The
memory needs to be 80ns or better and the SIMM is a 72-pin, parity or
non-parity will work.  Since parity SIMMs work you can use PC SIMMs and
they are typically cheaper that "Mac" memory SIMMs.  A good source for
memory is:

   http://ww.memoryx.com

-bob

p.s. The internal disk can also be upgraded.  Mine currently sports a
4.3Gig Quantum which runs fine with the GENERIC kernels.