Subject: Hardcore... what to do about SPAM
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/2000 19:34:02
> I'm at a loss here, I don't know what to do about it.  I;m sure it must be
> illegal for someone to spoof an email address, expecially for spam.  I'm
> just not sure who I need to contact about it.
>
> Any suggestions?  I'm really pissed that anyone would do a thing like this
> and I'm very sorry that you guys need to suffer because of their misguided
> actions.

The only thing that can be done is that both mail servers, which are open
relays, need to be contacted, which is what I have done. I have also
contacted the upstream providers for those email servers, because they are
listed as open relays, yet nobody took time to fix that; a reminder from
their ISP may help, as well as a threat to nominate them to the RBL.

Additionally, wherever possible, I contact the network from which the SPAM
originates. A number of recent SPAMs originated with an ISP in Israel,
which has been contacted several times, then threatened. It seems that
someone with software to scan for open relays is doing tons of SPAM from
the same place, with similar content.

In the end, even when these people get booted, there will be plenty more,
making things like ORBS look more and more attractive. I currently use
MAPS RBL, RSS, and DUL, but have thought ORBS to be a little extreme. It
doesn't seem so extreme anymore.

So we keep killing the SPAMMERs, and maybe, one day, people will get
arrested for illegal SPAM activity, and sysadmins will be held responsible
for open relays, and we'll all be better off.

Just my two cents on what seems like an endless video game...

John Klos