Subject: Re: Is the PPP performance a hardware issue perhaps?
To: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/2000 11:17:10
> What do macs use as far as a UART chip on their serial ports?

AMD 8530.  This has a fixed 3-byte FIFO.  Some of the "newer" macs
have an extended version of this chip that does have a deeper FIFO,
but IIRC, we don't detect and use that.  That would probably help,
if we need to explicitly support it.  DMA on the IIfx, Q900, Q950,
AWS95, Q/C660, Q840 would be nice, too.

> Are there NuBUS based boards available that provide good
> serial ports?

There are several nubus serial cards--some with on-board CPUs that
would require microcode.  Good luck getting any documentation on
these.  I sent a card off to someone who was going to look at support
for it, but it's an uphill battle without docs.  I'd love to see it
done, but I'm not going to do it w/o someone giving me docs and/or
paying me to do it...  ;-)

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service