Subject: Re: Thanks! (RE: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k)
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: John Pannell <johnp@positivespinmedia.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/2000 22:41:36
on 12/15/00 5:20 PM, Pat Wendorf at beholder@unios.dhs.org wrote:

> - What type of stability does this platform offer?  Should I trust it to
> do secondary DNS or similarly light tasks for a network of 25
> computers?  What about something like more demanding like dialup
> NAT/Firewall/Socks5 with 25 computers?

Some anecdotal evidence... I have a Centris 650 40MB RAM 500MB disk that
functions as a web server (apache), mail server (sendmail and qpopper), and
DNS server (BIND) - I also run FTP.  It has been up 197 days straight, and
was up 120 days previous to that.  I took it down in the middle because I
thought qpopper had freaked out... turns out that someone has sent me an
email with a 14MB attachment.  That is the only performance issue I have had
- large email attachments generate a "poplock" if your mail client is set to
check your email frequently (like every minute).

It's not under a heavy load - about five clients use the DNS, it moves about
100 pieces of mail a day, and hosts about 2000 web hits a month.  But it
does stay up (I also manage an NT server that it *not* so reliable).

John