Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 20:19:36
"Henry B. Hotz" wrote:

> At 6:20 AM -0800 12/14/00, Greg Troutman wrote:
> >On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:19:38 -0500
> >Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I recently purchased (very cheaply) a Quadra 800 and a Quadra 610 and
> > > upgraded them to 16 megs of ram for the purpose of installing NetBSD (I
> > > have many NetBSD i386 machines).  I've read the installation guide and
> > > the FAQ's which mention the Apple SC Partitioning tool.  I tried the
> > > tool, but I've found that it tags "*"'s on the 2 partitions (driver,
>
> Right.  You can't reformat the partition that the formatter (or it's
> OS) is running from.
>
> >The easiest way to do this is to get an external SCSI drive with the
> >MacOS, and install the NetBSD tools and some basic Mac utilities for
> >partioning hard drives.  You can then attach this drive to any new
> >Mac you want NetBSD on,
>
> Yes this is nice, but you don't have to go this far.  The normal way
> to handle this on 68k Mac's is to use the Disk Tools boot floppy.
> Then you install a minimum version of MacOS on a 4+ MB partition that
> you left for the purpose.  I usually add MacTCP and Fetch to the
> minimum system and the MacBSD tools, and I make it big enough to hold
> the biggest installation tar file as well.

Hmm, I'm not familiar enough with MacOS yet to determine what is needed
for a minimum install, can anyone offer advice on this?

I have the drives formatted now, and I'm up against a new problem that
is hardware related.  I think I will need a Mac 10-BaseT connector or
possibly a Mac SCSI CD-ROM to copy the packages on the second hard
drive.  Does anyone know the costs associated with these items?

--

Pat Wendorf