Subject: SCSI hard drive problem during install
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/2000 04:27:33
I just got a seagate barracuda ST15150N, the specs on
it are available at this web page:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st15150n.html

The computer I've installed it in is a MacIIci.  The
I've successfully installed netbsd on this computer on
an 80 meg drive, so I'm proficient in creating and
formatting the necessary partitions.

Here are the partitions I've created

1: HFS - 500 Megs
2: Root/usr 3.5 or so gigs
3: Swap 64 megs

I can create the partitions and format them and there
are no complaints.  However when I run the install
program I have problems.

The first problem, or symptom of the problem, shows up
right away.  The install program complains about fail
on reading something and calls this a #5 error.  The
install program doesn't quit at this point, it will
let you continue.  The next problem, which is fatal,
is an scsi read error #5 during the install of
base.tgz.

I know almost for certain that the drive itself is not
to blame as I've got two identical ones and it fails
in the same way on both of them.

Are there any known issues with the install program
and seagate drives, or with larger drives in general?

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Lee Reynolds