Subject: Re: Ethernet cards
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Gort <pgort@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2000 17:37:11
on 27/11/00 10:16 AM, John Klos at john@sixgirls.org wrote:

>> I'm a newbie to NetBSD, and attempting to setup a IIci as a cable modem
>> router/firewall.  I used Erik Winkler's pre-configured package, but it
>> doesn't seem to support the "Apple Ethernet NB" cards in my IIci.  I've
>> since discovered <http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/ethernet.html>
>> which shows that no kernel supports these cards.  However the date on that
>> web page says it was last modified in 1997... So does anybody know of a
>> kernel to support these cards?  They were a standard Apple card for these
>> machines, so I'm hoping somebody knows something to help...
>
> To be honest, if there's no support for that card, the easiest thing is to
> pick up another old NuBus ethernet card. They can ususally be found for
> around $10.
>
> (Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=504102012
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=506479235)
>
> Ideally, for IP NAT, it's best to have two separate ethernet interfaces,
> so you may save a little money by buying two at once since shipping won't
> be much more.
>
> John Klos

Since I've got two cards that I picked up cheap and I thought were
compatible, (and I'm in Australia), I'm worried that I'll just get another
two cards that might not be compatible...after waiting a month to get
them.... but I'll have to try it if no-one can think of anything better in
the meantime.
--
Peter Gort