Subject: NewUser LCII
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: lists-mail <lists@pixelhammer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/2000 00:23:03
Evening everyone,

So far I have not been able to get any form of BSD onto my Mac. I have posted
a few questions but mostly I have been prowling archives where I can find them
and searching Google and DejaNews for more information. So far no luck or
answers.

It would seem after much trial that I may need to change drive types to get
this to work. I have tried Generic and SBC kernels with no luck. I have
followed the install intructions to the letter, and experiementd on my own
including mounting the drive on a G3 and doing everything from there then
transfering the drive to my LC and mounting it (much faster btw).

As I see it my options are to either try to find another drive of a brand and
type _known_ to work with NetBSD or try to get the sources installed for
OpenBSD and try to recompile the driver for ae0.

So my questions are....

1) What drives are others using with success for 68kmac BSD?
2) Has anyone gotten the ae0 driver to work with OpenBSD on a card that does
_not_ announce itself as a Dayna or Apple, etc? (same chipset, it works with
NetBSD )

Details below, thanks,

DAve

Mac LCII
Quantum FireBall 2151 ST
PDS Ethernet 10BaseT
Internal SCSI terminated

200mb HFS
500mb AU/X Root&User
32mb AU/X Swap
1.7gb Free

NetBSD 1.4.2
Install proceeds fine
ethernet recognized as ae0
all diskwrite activity is met with "unexpected phase change" warnings, system
unuseable.

NetBSD 1.5Beta_2
Install fails with "scsi write error () 5" almost immediately

OpenBSD2.7
Install proceeds fine
system boots normally and runs with no errors
Ethernet not