Subject: Re: NewUser LCII
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/2000 19:52:42
> The SCSI Read error (5) is documented and there are instructions on how to
> get around it on the NetBSD FAQ somewhere.
>
> Boot into NetBSD.

I think the issue is that this person can't boot! If you read the email,
Dave says the installation goes OK; the installation is done inside of
MacOS, so the issue is that the SCSI is not working in the kernel.

> > 1) What drives are others using with success for 68kmac BSD?

It's not likely that it's specific to that drive type, unless NetBSD
tries to tell the drive to use some mode that the SCSI chip itself doesn't
support.

Does anyone know, for instance, what happens when a SCSI controller
negotiates synchronous transfers, but cannot do them itself?

Dave, are you using Apple's Drive Setup, or Apple HD SC, or some third
party software? Some third party drivers screw up the actual geometry.

John Klos