Subject: Re: SCSI differences between 1.4.x & 1.5
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/23/2000 22:59:19
At 1:29 Uhr +0100 23.11.2000, Allen Briggs wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:49:42PM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
>Were you running
>ethernet, serial, or anything else while running bonnie?

X11, a few xterms and xloads, xntpd with a pps DCF77 receiver on the modem
port. I did a second run without xntpd which gave identical results.

The IIci had the usual load of Netatalk, INN, sendmail, named & friends.

The Q700 _feels_ slow when it goes to disk, you see... I first realized
that something was different when fscks began to take ages. The built-in
disk is an IBM DDRS 4G - more than fast enough for async SCSI. When I run
configure, the Quadra freezes while the header files are written, and again
when the linker runs.

I.e., the bonnie figures do not contradict the "feeling" of the box.

>> - These figures may in part be distorted due to loss of clock ticks, but by
>> an order of magnitude? Unfortunately, I do not have older figures from the
>> Quadra 700.
>
>With the A/UX interrupt layout, you should not be losing as many clock
>ticks.

I know. What I meant to hint at was that the IIci figures look better than
reality because the IIci loses more time than a Quadra with re-ordered
(A/UX) interrupts.

	hauke