Subject: Re: Cannot unmount hard drive
To: C.R. Carlson <iowadoc@micron.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/23/2000 07:46:48
C.R. Carlson wrote:

>Thanks for the advise. I have tried initializing with all extensions off,
>tried it with the HD erased, (i.e. no other system software except whats on
>the boot floppy), and other forms of voodoo. Nothing works.
>I do note that the HD came with a "third party" driver installed, (get info
>says FWB ID 0, 1.7.5) and I am wondering if I would actually need their
>software to get this thing to format. Hmmm. The patched Apple 7.5.3 won't
>do it.

As John Klos points out, the system is probably trying to load a SCSI
driver from the drive on boot.  This will probably work to blow
everything off the drive, but you may end up with a non-bootable system
unless you have another SCSI device on the chain. I did this once when I
was making changes in Mkfs and had to scramble to get the system back
into a working state.

Using the NetBSD Booter, boot up one of the Installation Kernels (1.4.2
or 1.5).  Go thru the install to get to the point where it finds the disk
and asks you if you want to use all or part of the disk.  Select the All
option and proceed with the installation.  When it starts unloading the
distribution tarballs you can reboot the system.  At this point the disk
should be almost totally unrecognized by MacOS and you should be able to
re-initiaze it with the patched Apple 7.5.3 utility.

-bob