Subject: Re: SCSI differences between 1.4.x & 1.5
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/2000 04:31:14
> > The Quadra 1.5 system is unusually slow during any disk activity (such as
> > when updating the locate database); I decided to try out 1.5 on the A3000 to see
> > if this was an issue with NetBSD-m68k or mac68k specifically.
>
> Hmm, I haven't noticed any difference wrt. SCSI between 1.4.x and 1.5 on
> my 660av, which uses the same 539x SCSI driver as the Q800... SCSI majorly
> lags the system on both versions :( As far as I know, there weren't any
> changes to the SCSI system that would make things slower, but I haven't
> been closely following the changes... have you tried timing things to see
> how big the speed difference is?

Subjectively, the 1.5 system can barely be considered interactive while
untargzipping or running find. The percent of system CPU in top hovers
around 90%, as compared to 25 - 30% on the 1.5 A3000 and 30 - 45% on the
1.4.2 Quadra.

I suppose I could time something, but I think the issue is that 1.4.2 is
running at what I would consider a normal speed (is it DMA? 4 meg/sec?),
but that 1.5 isn't doing DMA or isn't doing the full speed of the 53C96.

I guess there's no synchronous mode for these chips, is there?

I also noted this anomaly:
(1.4.2) esp0 at obio0 (quick): address 0x90f000: NCR53C96, 16MHz, SCSI ID 7
(1.5) esp0 at obio0 (quick): address 0x898000: NCR53C96, 16MHz, SCSI ID 7

Is this due to having a NuBus card in one of the machines? Do motherboard
resources autoconfig in the Nubus space, and therefore get moved around?

Anyone?

John Klos