Subject: Re: Cannot unmount hard drive
To: None <iowadoc@micron.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/2000 18:43:58
iowadoc@micron.net wrote:

>I have a PB170 with a non-Apple 200 meg internal HD that I was thinking
>of installing NetBSD on. First step, obviously, would be to partition
>the HD. I made a boot disk with a barebones system 7.1 folder,added the
>patched 7.3.5 SCSI HD app and when I went to intialize the HD I got the
>message to the effect "cannot unmount the HD, a file may be in use".
>
>Mind you I booted from the floppy. There are no HD files "in use".

Sounds like there's some Extension getting loaded.  I thought I'd seen
this before with a disk that was used with disk optimization or
protection software.  You might try booting from the floppy with all the
Extentions disabled.  If that doesn't work I have a couple of programs
guarented to destroy Apple Disk Partition Maps.  However, I've found that
if a 68k Mac can't find a SCSI device to load a driver from it will sing
a heart-stopping Sad Mac chime. Recover can be "interesting". ;-/

-bob