Subject: Re: [OFF TOPIC ?] I have successfully installed 1.4.2 and now what can I do ?
To: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/2000 01:52:37
On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Emile Schwarz wrote:

> > Unfortunately, no one has yet translated this into French.

Really?  Pourquoi?

> Could be a must, but I can read (and sometimes understand) English.

Heh.  I can read (and sometimes understand) French.  A week or two ago, I
needed to read a particular Linux How-TO.  For some reason, I couldn't
find the English version.  And of course, I knew the Altavista "babel
fish" would ruin the translation from any language, so I just poured
through the French text.  Gave me a bit of a headache, but it basically
told me that the details were in a _different_ How-TO, which did have an
easily locatable English version....  One of those days, I guess.

> These is a half dozen *nix (Linux most of them) monthly magazine in Franc=
e (and
> in French... most of the time). None of them are *nix on Macintosh specif=
ic and
> none of them say on the cover that they address X86 specific hardware (in=
 fact
> Pentium Hardware)... In other words, you buy first (between 30 to 50 Fran=
cs and
> sometimes higher) and at read time (home time) you know that you have buy=
 the
> wrong magazine (platform ? no I don't think so, but...) and send your mon=
ey
> beyond the window (jeter l=92argent par les fen=EAtres; I don't know the =
actual
> English sentence for these words)

Throwing money out the window.  We have that expression, though we'd
probably just say "throwing money away".  :-)

David

                    Check out my weekly web comic:
                     http://www.techmagazine.org