Subject: Re: [OFF TOPIC ?] I have successfully installed 1.4.2 and now what can I
To: <>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/2000 16:12:51
Allen Briggs wrote on Thu, 16 Nov 2000 at 02:15:31 -0500: (and I thank you to do so)

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 09:11:51PM +0100, Emile Schwarz wrote:
> > I have successfully installed 1.4.2 and now what can I do ?
>
> What do you want to do?
Start using my Macintosh under NetBSD; using Netscape to access to the internet,
using a text editor to build my web pages, using a picture manipulation software
to clear some scanned photos I have, and so on...

In short, do what I do with my Macintosh but under NetBSD (better and faster if possible).

> > 1. I still do not know how to be able to press the m/M letter and see on
> >    screen a 'm/M' (I use a French keyboard [AZERTY], but NetBSD thinks and
> >    acts just like if I have a QWERTY [US] keyboard).
>
> Ah.  There are people on this list who can probably help you with this.
> I would like to see some support in the kernel for different keyboard
> mappings at some point, but I don't know enough about foreign keyboards
> to know how to do this.
>
> > I tried to reach a simple documentation (a.k.a. NetBSD User’s Manual)
>
> Can you get to
>         http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/netbsd.html (English)
> or      http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/netbsd/netbsd.html (Italian)

English is fine for me.

and

Yes, I go there (the English link appears on a different color than the Italian
one, so I am sure that I go there) but I do not taken some minutes yet to read
it (I go there yesterday).

> Unfortunately, no one has yet translated this into French.

Could be a must, but I can read (and sometimes understand) English.

> For the keyboard question, you are definitely on the right list.  :-)
If I fully understand what you read, every French user of NetBSD/mac68K is using
it with a US keyboard mapping ? (Two solutions: there is a very few French
people using NetBSD/mac68K _OR_ they all have US ADB Keyboard AND do not care to
read the key caps each time they want to press ‘azqwm’ and so much other chars...)

> -allen

Thanks for taking time to answer,

Emile

PS: I do not want to be nostalgic (and nostalgia in this case is bad feelng),
but all of this (Macintosh people cannot get software/hardware they want to
use), recalls me the bad Apple II time (French: 1985 - 1991, USA: 1990 - 1993).
During these time, if it wasn't specifically noted, it was a product for PC _OR_ Macintosh.
These is a half dozen *nix (Linux most of them) monthly magazine in France (and
in French... most of the time). None of them are *nix on Macintosh specific and
none of them say on the cover that they address X86 specific hardware (in fact
Pentium Hardware)... In other words, you buy first (between 30 to 50 Francs and
sometimes higher) and at read time (home time) you know that you have buy the
wrong magazine (platform ? no I don't think so, but...) and send your money
beyond the window (jeter l’argent par les fenêtres; I don't know the actual
English sentence for these words)