Subject: Re: pkgsrc wierdness
To: Ryan Ordway <ryan@nwgeeks.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2000 17:59:01
On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > Um, it's actually "pkg_info -qS perl". The "-S" calculation
> > incorrectly and illogically sums up the "-S" values from the component
> > packages. (See PR pkg/11433.) I'm betting you don't really have a
> > problem with the packages you're building now, except that the
> > +SIZE_ALL files are probably corrupted on any number of dependent
> > packages.
>
> 	Ahh, yes this is the output that I'm seeing in the dc errors.

> > But the package _is_ installed, isn't it? Try "pkg_info openssl".
>
> 	The files are for the most part, but the package itself hasn't
> been registered yet. I suppose I could manually create the database files
> if necessary, but I'd prefer to have an easier alternative. ;-)

Brainstorm -- remove the corrupted +SIZE_ALL files, or better yet, fix
them up by hand. E.g.

	echo 0 >foo
	cp foo /var/db/pkg/*/+SIZE_ALL

I don't recall this problem leading to packages not installing,
though. There may be something else wrong.

> 	I've tried getting 1.4.3... is it not available yet? I can't get
> into the 1.4.3 directory.

No. ("Soon".) The source is, though. You could pull down sbin.tar.gz
from the NetBSD-release directory, or use "anoncvs" with
-rnetbsd-1-4-PATCH003. But, even after rebuilding in "pkg_install",
you'll still have the previously corrupted +SIZE_ALL files.

> I would prefer to upgrade to a stable
> release. How stable are the alpha 1.5 releases? It's been awhile since I
> tracked -current, not feeling as adventurous without the time to fix
> things.. especially since I'm running headless.

We're up to 1.5_BETA2, and 1.5 is scheduled to go out this month.
We've been in "release" mode for about 6 months -- a record. I can
personally vouch for it's stablility on i386, and reports are that
it's robust on all platforms.

Frederick