Subject: Re: installation without MacOS
To: None <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@rupert.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2000 15:12:38
Hello and Bye!

   At 9:54 Uhr +0100 7.11.2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
   >On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Hauke Fath wrote:
   >
   >> >the install.{txt,ps,html} file and the FAQ emphasis that one needs
   >> >MacOS for the installation! really? no other way?
   >>
   >> No other way. As it gets rehashed here every few months (see the archives)
   >> we a) don't really know how to boot "native" from naked Macintosh 68k
   >> hardware and
   >
   >Fake system file.  Start with miBoot.  That should be a big step in the
   >right direction, since it's a MacOS ROM-loaded system file that starts a
   >ppc linux kernel.  I'm sure there are some resource IDs that would be
   >different on 68k, but hopefully, it should be close.

   =8)

   May I kindly recall that I replied to an unhappy soul who did not know how
   to bootstrap MacOS on a barebones Macintosh II?

that unhappy soul got more unhappy after figuring out that he has not a Mac II - as mentioned on the chassic - but a Mac IIfx. NetBSD doesn't support this machine ;-(
thanks, anyway for so many respones!!

linux supports the Mac IIfx. now will switch to the linux mailing list and continue to ask my annoying questions ;-)

bye,
 Stefan