Subject: Re: installation without MacOS
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2000 20:33:07
At 9:54 Uhr +0100 7.11.2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Hauke Fath wrote:
>
>> >the install.{txt,ps,html} file and the FAQ emphasis that one needs
>> >MacOS for the installation! really? no other way?
>>
>> No other way. As it gets rehashed here every few months (see the archives)
>> we a) don't really know how to boot "native" from naked Macintosh 68k
>> hardware and
>
>Fake system file.  Start with miBoot.  That should be a big step in the
>right direction, since it's a MacOS ROM-loaded system file that starts a
>ppc linux kernel.  I'm sure there are some resource IDs that would be
>different on 68k, but hopefully, it should be close.

=8)

May I kindly recall that I replied to an unhappy soul who did not know how
to bootstrap MacOS on a barebones Macintosh II?

You and I know that booting a Macintosh natively is possible, given enough
time and enthusiasm. But that gives no reasonable timescale for somebody
who sits before a piece of nearly-obsolete hardware and tries to put it to
use _somehow_.

>> b) rely on MacOS setting up part of the hardware for us.
>
>What exactly does MacOS init that isn't already initted at the end of the
>ROM power-on routines?

I fully agree. For a reasonably determined person this should work in a few
weeks. But see above...  ;)

	hauke