Subject: Re: installation without MacOS
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2000 07:00:15
Another option, if the Mac has ethernet, is to use AppleTalk to get the
files into place.

If you have another Unix system lying around that supports the AppleTalk
DDP (*BSD, Linux, a few others when patched), you can create an AppleTalk
share that a Mac can connect to through, say, Apple's Network Access
Disk. This is a boot disk that starts a minmal System 7.5.1 with AppleTalk
access, so from there you can place your NetBSD/MacOS tools on the
AppleTalk server (UFS shouldn't strip their forks), and run an install
from there. It works quite well, as this is how I established a running
MacOS/NetBSD/OpenBSD boot situation on a Mac IIcx.

I can't recall the link for the Network Access Disk, but it shouldn't be
too hard to find. Let me know if you need it and I'll dig it up when I get
home later today.