Subject: Re: installation without MacOS
To: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2000 23:12:49
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Tony Mantler wrote:

> At 9:04 PM -0600 11/6/2000, John Valdes wrote:
> [...]
> >Sorry, you are lost. :)  (Last I heard, linux/mac68k was in the same
> >situation, but I don't follow linux/mac68k.)
> [...]
>
> "Yup" says me, the guy who takes care of the Linux/Mac68k booter. Macs are
> inherintly very unfriendly to booting anything other than MacOS.
>
> Feel free to write a cold booter though - I wish you luck. :)

I don't suppose the miBoot stuff from LinuxPPC would be of help, would it?
Basically, it looks enough like a system file for the ROMs to start it. Of
course, on Mac68k, the actual hardware setup code would be completely
different, but it seems like there shouldn't be much of that in the booter
anyway, beyond the obvious issue of getting the things into 32 bit mode.
How much MacOS hardware setup is relevant beyond that?  I guess the
nanokernel figuring out how much RAM you have.  Luckily, the ROMs do it
for you.  I assume they all store it at 0x50f0e02c ?

Later,
David

                    Check out my weekly web comic:
                     http://www.techmagazine.org