Subject: Re: pkgsrc wierdness
To: Ryan Ordway <ryan@nwgeeks.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/2000 19:54:45
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Ryan Ordway wrote:

> 	Ok, I've been trying to compile openssl from pkgsrc and I'm
> getting this really strange error. I believe I've seen it compiling other
> packages as well. This is using the 1.4.2 pkgsrc tarball, though I believe
> I've tried unpacking the latest pkgsrc tarball on top of it with the same
> results. Here is the error that I get:
> dc: dc: stack empty
> dc: register 'e' (0145) is empty

Do you have a "/usr/pkgsrc/packages" directory?

The problem is that unexpected output of "pkg_info" is being fed,
inappropriately, to "dc" as part of the overall size calculation
("pkg_info -qS"). The unexpected output is a complaint that PKG_PATH
does not exist. This complaint won't occur with NetBSD-1.4.3 and
NetBSD-1.5, for which "pkg_info -q" is quieter.

> 	So what is up with all of these dc errors? Anyone else have a
> problem with this? Is there an easy fix?

Most people saw this only when PKG_PATH was set to empty in certain
versions of bsd.pkg.mk, but this was later reverted. So you shouldn't
see this with the _latest_ pkgsrc, even with the old pkg_info, unless
/usr/pkgsrc/packages doesn't exist.

Frederick