Subject: SE/30 install woes
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Skeetter <skeetter@thebestisp.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/2000 12:31:18
Hi All !

I hope I am posting this to the right place.

I am trying to install NetBSD 1.4.1 on my Mac SE/30.  This machine is
equipped with 32 MB ( Mode 32 is ON and Virtual mem is OFF ), a Seagate
ST32430N 2.1 GB hard drive, and an Ethernet card.

I originally had problems with the unit until I discovered that there was an
extra FPU on the ethernet card....I yanked that out of the socket and now
the MAC OS part of it seems to work great.

I am istalling from CD-Rom which is the only exterernal SCSI device in the
system.  Everything is terminated correctly ( AFAIK ).

The hard drive has been partitioned into a 145 MB Mac OS 7.5.3 partition, a
300MB SWAP partition, and "ROOT & USR" is everything else....a curious thing
though,....I used Apple's HD setup ( patched ) and I can't seem to get it to
accept the last 11 meg of the last partition.    WIERD ?!

I have formatted all the partitions, and did the BUILD DEVICES thingy.

Up to this point, everthing has gone fine....then I start to install
BASE.TGZ.  I get about 3/4 through the install, then the system starts
having problems....I get this error message:

--------- snip--------
Error on ScsiRead(),    #5
Error on ScsiWrite(),    #5
Error on ScsiRead(),    #5
Error on ScsiRead(),    #5
Error on ScsiWrite(),    #5
Error on ScsiRead(),    #5
pos = 0 , i = 60 , fs = 1
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

After this, ....it's all over but the shouting.

I have also repeated the whole install again ( including the partitioning
step ), except I copied all of the install files onto the MAC OS partition
so I could eliminate the CD-Rom as a source of the problem.......the same
error occured.

I have sucessfully done an install on my IIci.....20Megs ram and 700 MB hard
drive,...so I can't understand what I am doing wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  THANKS !!!!

SKEETTER ( Jon C. )