Subject: Stalled boot on Duo
From: Tim Rayner <tfrayner@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/03/2000 00:51:49
Hi,

I'm trying to get an old powerbook duo 230 to boot using either a 1.5b
generic SBC kernel or the custom kernel provided by Hauke Fath
(at <http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-1_5_alpha-duo.tar.gz>)
based on Daishi Kato's patches PR9852
(see <http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-SanJose/4064/netbsd/index-e.html>).
I've also installed the base.tgz and etc.tgz packages from a variety of
snapshots, including the latest 1.5 beta. While I can bring up a serial
console with comparative ease, I remain unable to boot the duo
using an internal console. Every time I try, the boot process drops into
the debugger just after identifying the root filesystem as ffs, with
the message "panic: cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV". The debugger gives
the message "Stopped in init at   _cpu_Debugger+0x6:    unlk a6", for what
that's worth. The keyboard works at this stage of the boot.

I understand from reading the list archives that while duos are
unsupported at this time, people have been able to boot certain duos all
the way into X11; I was wondering if anyone had any pointers towards
getting a 230 to a humble login prompt :-P? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tim Rayner