Subject: Re: Core's, panic's, and hard lockups
To: Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/2000 18:16:03
At 5:38 PM -0800 11/2/00, Leonard Chung wrote:
>I heard the problem may be due to having a Quantum drive in the
>chain. However, I used to have a Conner 40MB drive previously
>running 1.4 about 2 years ago. I recall it would core then also, but
>the problem was nowhere as severe. Do you think regressing back to
>the Quantum would fix things a bit? Or could the added instability
>be due to changes since then in 1.4.2?

Quantum's probably get blamed just because there are more Quantum's
out there to get blamed.  There have been problems seen with all
brands.  That said changing drives may change the problem even if
it's just a different manufacture date of the same model.  It's been
known to happen.

Personally I've had outstanding luck with Quantum drives using the ncr driver.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.