Subject: RE: Hard drives on a IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Glenn Anderson <glenn@qualcomm.co.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/2000 19:51:54
>Those Seagates do draw a lot of current. I have some Hawk series drives that
>won't startup in several of my enclosures because they draw too much starting
>current. Unfortunately, even if you delay startup, the supply may not be able
>to handle the requirements. My Q700 can't start one, even after the system is
>booted. The green light just stays on solid, but the spindle motor never
>starts.

I was just having the same problem putting a Hawk in my Q700, the
light just came on and stayed solid. I assumed it was the power
supply at first as the Hawk requires 2A on the 12V line when starting
up, and the power supply is rated at 1.5A for the 12V line. However
checking Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware, it says the IIcx and
IIci power supplies (which are identical to the Q700 power supply)
can handle up to 3A peak for a period of 15 seconds maximum, easily
enough to spin up a Hawk.

The problem went away when I configured the TP jumpers correctly. I
had TE (terminator enable) on, but I had only a jumper on the right
TP pins. This was feeding power from the drive to the bus, when what
was needed was to either feed power from the drive to the terminator
(jumper across the left TP pins), or from the bus to the terminator
(a jumper across the bottom two TP pins). Once I did this the drive
spins up just fine.

You can get the Hawk installation guide from
<http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/scsi/hawk2gde.pdf>.

Glenn.