Subject: NetBSD on PB190cs?
To: NetBSD/mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/01/2000 21:21:04
I have a PowerBook 190cs that was bought in 1995, but that these days just
sits around collecting dust.  It would, however, be very useful to me to be
able to run a flavor of Unix on the system.  Enter NetBSD.

Of course, things aren't that simple: I know that it has the LC040 processor
and I know that NetBSD won't run on that because of the lack of FPU and
associated LC040 hardware bug.  However, the FAQ mentioned replacing the
LC040 with a full 68040 processor as a generic solution to this problem.

So, my questions are these: Where could I get the LC040 in my PowerBook
190cs replaced with a full 68040 processor?  Any idea of how much it would
cost?

Would replacing the processor allow me to run NetBSD/mac68k on that machine?
I seem to remember reading something some time ago about missing screen
drivers.  I'd be perfectly happy just running it as a tty console.  I can
live without XFree86 on this machine (besides: I'm not sure I have the disk
space for that! ;)  But the question remains whether NetBSD would run, or if
it cannot access the screen.

Any answers most welcome.  It's sort of a last chance for this machine:
either this works, or it hits the trash ;) ;) ;)

M.

--
Martin Howard                 | "We can't make mistakes like that on our
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU   |  own. We need computers to help us."