Subject: Re: Quadra 840AV hardware question
To: Mark R. Nathan <zuse@libero.it>
From: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/2000 16:52:39
At 4:20 PM -0500 9/30/2000, Mark R. Nathan wrote:
>On 9/30/00, Riccardo Mottola wanted to tell me:
>>bytw. i don't recall that slot at all! i filled 4 RAM and 4 VRAM slots, i
>>though of having filled the baby up!
>
>I believe the slot you are referring to is a Video accelerator slot
>for digitizing faster (I believe something close to that at least).
>Avid, in conjunction with Apple, made this add on option for the AV
>macs.  This includes PPC 8600, 8500, and others which came as a AV
>model.
>
>I asked the same question about my 8600 AV which had this unusual slot.
>
>Note that this look more like a slot then a terminal for a ram chip.

The DAV slot! (Not to be confused with the DAV slot or the DAV slot, each
of which were mutually incompatible, iirc) That's where you stuck your
spigot, if your spigot were of the video sort!

Also note that Apple, at that time, was rather inclined to put the ROM
(which is 2 megs on the AV macs) on a SIMM in some board revs, and solder
it to the board in others.

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org