Subject: Re: No luck... Was: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2 - summary
To: Jesse Reynolds , Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/2000 17:58:48
At 11:00 AM +1100 9/20/00, Jesse Reynolds wrote:
>At 15:21 -0500 19/9/00, Dave Huang wrote:
>>Hmm, Illegal instruction trap is pretty unusual... I'm running
>>1.5-ALPHA2 on my 660av, which should be pretty much identical to an
>>840av, and it's working fine... I compiled my own kernel though; I'm in
>>the process of downloading the Sept 5 snapshot kernel, and will try it
>>out and see how it does on my machine.
>
>Well, it does an Illegal instruction trap when I have the video set
>higher than 256 as well.
>
>>BTW, I think if you want to set it up so that it won't try to ifconfig
>>anything at all, set net_interfaces=NO in your /etc/rc.conf
>
>I've now tried this, net_interfaces="NO", and yet it still panics...
>this time it says:

>Starting network.
>/etc/rc: WARNING: $hostname not set.

Is hostname defined in /etc/rc.conf.  Alternatively is there a value
in /etc/myname?  I wouldn't expect it to cause the problem, but it's
an easy error to fix, and if it is the cause I think people would
like to know.

>add net 127.0.0.0: gateway 127.0.0.1
>Kernel Illegal Instruction trap.

This is the loopback interface.  It should have nothing to do with
the ethernet card you are using.

>trap type 2, code = 0x0, v=0x0
>kernel program counter = 0xc86de
>kernel: Illegal instruction trap
>pid = 46, pc = 000C86DE, ps = 2100, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
>Registers:
>
> <blah blah>
>
>panic: Illegal instruction
>Stopped in ifconfig at _cpu_Debugger+0x6:    unlk    a6

>Any advice greatly appreciated as to how I might go about getting
>this thing to actually boot up!!!
>
>Perhaps I should pull out the AsanteFast 10/100 nubus ethernet card?

Well it is an unusual card, but the error doesn't look like it.  Does
a stack trace after the panic show any routines that have anything to
do with the card?

>(I tried it at 1bit graphics this time, just to be on the safe side.)

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.