Subject: Re: Q840AV doesn't like 1.5 Alpha2
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2000 06:58:08
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Jesse Reynolds wrote:
>
>> I tried installing NetBSD 1.5 Alpha2 snapshot of 5 Sept and it
>> doesn't seem to work. The kernel panics and bombs out to the debugger
>> shortly after recognising the keyboard and mouse, exerpts as follows:
>
>It looks like it's failing in the place the video probe should be.
>What video mode do you boot in? Maybe see if changing the video mode
>causes the symptom to change. Do all the modes work under Mac OS? If
>you have bad video memory, it'll be obvious at the larger resolutions.
>
>Also, the "ams" device is somewhat uncommon -- you could rule out that
>driver by booting without the mouse, or with a different mouse.

This is the same type of error I've been getting for some time on my
Peforma-550 with the Logic 3-button mouse.  I haven't tried this
snapshot, but I will this evening.

The "ams" device started showing up for me a couple of months ago.  I
don't think its uncommon, just different from what we normally are used
to seeing.

My guess is if you replace the mouse with a standard Apple one-button
mouse the system will boot OK.  At least that's always been my experience
in the face of this problem.

-bob