Subject: Booting from ATA drives
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2000 12:11:23
	A few weeks back, someone (sorry, I cannot remember who)
posted kernel patches for ATA disk access.

	I don't know if they work (no suitable machine to test on),
but if they do, then some people might like to try booting from an
ATA disk, so I have made an ATA capable Booter, 1.11.5a3.

	I have only tested the new code on a PowerBook G3 series,
which uses an LBA-capable drive, so I have no idea if it will work
on older machines.

	If anyone wants to test it, please reply, and I will mail
back the program (it is only 106228 bytes).

	We also need to decide how the Booter will pass ATA disk
stuff to the kernel. At the moment, it sets the environment variable
ROOT_SCSI_ID. Any thoughts on how to pass the ATA device ID?

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "Reality is that which,   |
|   Telstra NW-D, Sydney, Australia.    |  when you stop believing  |