Subject: RE: very slow telnet
To: Pierre Tardy <tardyp@iname.com>
From: Tom N Harris <telliamed@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/22/2000 23:57:17
Here, try this. In /etc/nsswitch.conf, change the line

   hosts: dns files
   hosts: files dns

And /etc/hosts should read:

   192.168.0.1   imac     imac.localnet
   192.168.0.2   quadra   quadra.localnet

Hostnames are case-insensitive. "localnet" can be whatever you like.

If you want to make a hosts file for MacOS, it's a bit different; the
format is derived from named. You would have:

   imac.localnet   A   192.168.0.1
   imac     CNAME   imac.localnet
   quadra.localnet A   192.168.0.2
   quadra   CNAME   quadra.localnet

Then save it someplace (Preferences folder) and in the TCP/IP cpanel
(with Advanced user interface), click on "Select Hosts File" and pick
the file. More info at
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n75085