Subject: Re: umask is "0002"
To: Philip Brodd <pbrodd@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/2000 17:31:24
On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 06:25:01PM -0500, Philip Brodd wrote:
> When installing tripwire, I got the message
>
> # make install
> ===> Installing for tripwire-1.2
> ===>  Warning: your umask is "0002".
> If this is not desired, set it to an appropriate value (0022)
> and install this package again by ``make deinstall reinstall''.
>

> What are the implications of this?  To install I su'ed and ran 'make
> install'.  Did I do something wrong when creating my non-root account?
>
> Thanks.

Our (that is, all of NetBSD) default .cshrc and .profile both (wrongly,
IMHO) do umask 2. (They should do umask 0022, again IMHO.) Either it's
been changed by 1.5 or I modified the files on my i386 laptop by hand,
I really don't remember.

If we're still distributing dot-files that cause root to create
group-writeable nodes, this should definitely be send-pr'ed.

If I get a chance and no one beats me to it, I'll figure out when and
from where these files are installed, but I've been kind of busy of
late.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net