Subject: Re: Help with ethereal
To: None <hlhindly@sympatico.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/20/2000 13:40:29
> After typing in ethereal I get the following message:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: undefined symbol "_XUngrabdevice" in
> ethereal:/usr/X11R6/lib/libgdk.so.12.7

Hmm. I get that too with the ethereal-0.8.3 package that I uploaded to
ftp.netbsd.org. It seems to be a case of the old bug where "shared
libraries that depend on other shared libraries" aren't pulled in
properly. On 1.5_ALPHA/i386 with ethereal-0.8.11, "ldd
/usr/pkg/bin/ethereal" has en entry for -lXi.6, but it's missing on
1.4.3_ALPHA/mac68k.

I'll build a new gtk+/ethereal from current pkgsrc to see if the
problem still exists, and if so, I can add -lXi to the list of
libraries to link for ethereal. Either way, when I get something that
runs, I'll put it up on ftp.netbsd.org.

Frederick