Subject: CodeWarrior (OT) was Re: sysinst install
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Daniel Parks <danielparks@bigfoot.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2000 19:22:08
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:
> >Any idea if it's (semi-)legal to give another person one of the old
> >CDs? They send me 2 CDs/year or so, and I'm not using the older ones.
> >
> Yes it's legal but you are also giving up your rights to use the software
> since you are transferring the license.

Oh, well.

> I guess it's been some time
> since you upgraded though.  Now they post the upgrades and you have to
> download them.  It's a far cry from the early days when you got 2 updates
> _and_ the PC version all included in the original purchase price.

They don't send CDs anymore? But when I upgraded to R5 a few months ago
they sent me a packet of 4 CDs (2 for Windows) and a CD with the latest
IDE on it. I thought that you just got 1 free update now (2 packets in the
mail, as opposed to 3). And it doesn't look like they include Pascal
anymore! I wonder if these new policies have anything to do with getting
bought by Motorola?

What a pain.

> >They're Pro, but with an academic license.
> >
> Pro and academic are the same kits, but the license is different.  As I
> recall the academic allows you to develop personal software or freeware,
> but not shareware or commercial applications.  There are no such
> restrictions on the Pro kits.

They used to have some other kind of Academic thing... or they had two
names for it or something. You are correct about what I can develop.

> >You can get an academic license if you have some school ID... so if you
> >take a class in wine tasting at you local community college, you can get
> >CodeWarrior for ~$100.
> >
> And you can then get a break on the upgrade to Pro from Metrowerks, but
> not much of one.  In fact Metrowerks will allow you to upgrade to the
> current version from _any_ previous version for about the same price as
> the upgrade from previous to current.  So I usually let my subscription
> lapse for a release or two and then upgrade.

Me too.

> -bob

Thanks,
Daniel