Subject: Re: sysinst install
To: Daniel Parks <danielparks@bigfoot.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2000 19:16:28
Daniel Parks wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>> Alternatively, have you tried talking to Metrowerks about getting
>> educational pricing since you are developing open source programs
>> with the product?  I'm sure they'd understand, it might just be
>> finding the right person to talk to.
>
>Any idea if it's (semi-)legal to give another person one of the old
>CDs? They send me 2 CDs/year or so, and I'm not using the older ones.

Yes it's legal but you are also giving up your rights to use the software
since you are transferring the license.  I guess it's been some time
since you upgraded though.  Now they post the upgrades and you have to
download them.  It's a far cry from the early days when you got 2 updates
_and_ the PC version all included in the original purchase price.

>They're Pro, but with an academic license.

Pro and academic are the same kits, but the license is different.  As I
recall the academic allows you to develop personal software or freeware,
but not shareware or commercial applications.  There are no such
restrictions on the Pro kits.

>You can get an academic license if you have some school ID... so if you
>take a class in wine tasting at you local community college, you can get
>CodeWarrior for ~$100.

And you can then get a break on the upgrade to Pro from Metrowerks, but
not much of one.  In fact Metrowerks will allow you to upgrade to the
current version from _any_ previous version for about the same price as
the upgrade from previous to current.  So I usually let my subscription
lapse for a release or two and then upgrade.

-bob