Subject: Re: sysinst install
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@portents.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2000 19:09:47
Nathan Raymond wrote:

>At 11:34 AM +1000 8/10/00, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:
>
>>  > Are you still using CW?
>>
>>	Yes. The only thing I could find to compile long longs was
>>CW11 or later. The debugger seems to indicate that arguments are
>>sometimes not being passed correctly, but it may be a problem with
>>the 68k code emulation in the debugger.
>>
>>	I cannot justify an upgrade to a later (Pro) version of CW
>>(the mortage is a higher priority). I would use a GNU product in
>>an instant if there was a decent way to debug.
>
>What about Apple's MPW?  It is free these days after all.  Not as
>easy to use as CodeWarrior, but very capable.
>
>http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/
>
>Alternatively, have you tried talking to Metrowerks about getting
>educational pricing since you are developing open source programs
>with the product?  I'm sure they'd understand, it might just be
>finding the right person to talk to.

The "Discover Programming" kit from Metrowerks costs about $80 (US) and
includes the full 68k compiler.  I believe they are also planning a PPC
version.

For those looking for an inexpensive way to get the full educational
version you can go thru BookMaster's.  All you need is proof that you are
enrolled in a class where you can use the compiler.  Taking a single
class at a community college qualifies, even if you are not a full-time
student.  My previous employer paid for me to attend an evening class on
C++ and that qualified with BookMaster's, and yes I was totally up-front
and honest with them about my status as a student.

-bob