Subject: Re: sysinst install
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2000 10:55:06
> Is anyone supporting the booter right now?  Nigel--are you still around?

	Yep. I am still fiddling with trying to compile the NetBSD
filesystem code under MacOS. I have some crashing related to the
memory allocation pool stuff, but I cannot track it down.

(may be related to me trying to debug 64bit 68K code on a PowerMac)

> I'd like to update its gzip-reading functions--it has problems with
> current gzip -9 gzipped data and I suspect that it just needs a recent
> copy of the gzip library code.

	From memory, it still has the old 'zlib' code you hacked in
a few years ago.

> I'd also like to play around with some
> ideas for bootstrapping through a boot block so that we can build the
> bootblock with libsa and be done with ffs version incompatibilties.
> Then the booter just boots the boot block and we are closer to having
> the option of a vastly simplified booter.

	Cool!

(Thought -
 even better would be writing an A/UX partition containing the
 bootblock, so that we may be able to have a Mac boot from it
 _without_ a Booter.
 It is all documented in Inside Macintosh, vol. V, in the Disk
 Partitioning section, pp.576-582, but I haven't had any luck yet)

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "Reality is that which,   |
|    Telstra NWD, Sydney, Australia.    |  when you stop believing  |