Subject: Re: Problem with latest snapshot on Duo280c
To: None <g@kurico.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/2000 17:15:13
At 9:00 Uhr +0200 4.8.2000, George Currie wrote:
>I'm trying to install the latest snapshot (0729) on a Duo280c.
>When I use the generic kernel, the system will boot all the way
>until it prompts me for the shell (normal boot) or terminal type
>(single user). At that point the system ignores all keyboard input.
>
>Using the MRG kernel is even worse, the inital boot occurs until
>the screen clears and it just sits there locked up.
>
>I did notice that during the boot process the following line comes
>up:
>
>adb0 (direct, Powerbook): 0 targets
>
>This seems bad.  Is it not dectecting the duo's kb?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

at <http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-1_5_alpha-duo.tar.gz> you'll
find a 1.5ALPHA GENERICSBC kernel with the patches from Daishi Kato's PR
9852. The tarball includes the source patches in case you are set up to
build your own kernels.

With that kernel, I have X11 running on my Duo 280c (with keyboard and
mouse ;).

Still, there are several issues with Duo support:

o  With this kernel, the keyboard is dead when booting to single user mode.
It works when you invoke the kernel debugger, though (cmd-Power).

o  With the Mini-Dock attached, the kernel panics while attaching macvid0
(the dock's video adapter) to macfb1. You need to configure a kernel
_without_ Nubus video support.

o  The kernel comes up with bogus probe results (iwm, zsc)

o  Things like "ps ax", "ls -l" dump core most of the time. Don't ask me
what "ls -l" needs floats for...

o  When running X11, killing xdm does not give you back the console prompt.

o  Undre X11, the keyboard driver occasionally misses key-up events,
resulting in a stream of characters until you hit the next key.

o  "shutdown -p" results in a syslogged "klog: bad address".

YMMV,

	hauke