Subject: Re: Q840AV SCSI Question
To: Henry B. Hotz <fb@enteract.com>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/28/2000 21:01:45
On Jul 28, 10:12am, "Henry B. Hotz" wrote:
>I know which way the terminators are labeled and I had them in with
>the little pin-1 mark next to the arrow on the disk controller card.
>But just for the hell of it I tried putting them in backwards and it
>works now.
>
>The terminator pulls the bus lines to a reference voltage with a
>certain resistance in order to damp out signal reflections from the
>end of the wire.  Since the resister pack is connected to both Vterm
>and Ground reversing the pack should have the effect of shifting the
>reference voltage and increasing the load on signal drivers, but
>should have no effect on the damping, I think.  So maybe this makes
>some kind of sense?
>
>Or maybe these resister packs are labeled backwards.  ;-)

It has to do with logic levels.  In TTL, < 0.8V is a 0, and > 2.4V is a 1.
Resistor packs are normally 220/330 ohms, which would put the termination
voltage at ~3V.  (TTL pulls down more easily than it pulls up.)  With the
packs reversed, the voltage would be ~2V, no man's land.

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>