Subject: Internet sharing with two Net connections
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Knight <dknight@bakerbooks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/2000 07:21:18
I need to improve the Internet sharing situation at home. AT&T @home has
been remarkably troublesome with "node problems" (that's what they call
it) almost every day, sometimes for 12 hours or more.

I'm using a Hawking router, but that only supports on Net connection. I
also have IPNetRouter, but that has the same limitation.

Vicomsoft makes a program that does what I want, but with the necessary
options, SoftRouter (10 users, fallback connection) is going to cost
$190, although it looks like I would have no trouble at all running it on
a Quadra 650 with a couple extra Dayna ethernet cards.

But I'm always looking for a cheaper way out. Is there a way to achieve
this same functionality using BSD? (I'm a Unix virgin, so speak slowly.)

Thanks!

Dan Knight, information systems manager       dknight@bakerbooks.com
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

 - Macintosh: Love bug resistant, always Y2K ready