Subject: NIC trouble & mem q
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/2000 10:05:00
Hi,

I recently put 1.4.2 onto an LC 476 (which now has a full 68040 I pulled
out of a Radius Rocket card).

At boot time I get this message about the NIC (which I think is a MacConI
nubus, but I don't know for sure ... could look)

ae0 at nubus0 slot e: Ethernet A-Series, 16KB memory
ae0: Ethernet address 00:40:10:0b:d9:f2
ae0: length does not match next packet pointer
ae0: len 0000 nlen ff00 start 0c first 00 curr 13 next 00 stop 40
ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280

Nevertheless, I am able to get networking to work fine (after creating
/etc/ifconfig.ae0). Is this message something to worry about? What can I
do about it?

Also, The machine has 36 Mb of real RAM, but I don't think I am seeing
that much in NetBSD:
Memory: 3264K Act, 2636K Inact, 332K Wired, 23M Free, 4K Swap, 74M Swap
free (from top)
This seems to add up to around 30 Mb. I wonder where the rest of the RAM
went... Could this have something to due with video being in main
memory? I _AM_ using the LC475 video hack checkbox if that make any
difference.

Thanks for the help... I have 1 1.4.1 box that has been up for 261
days!!! I love NetBSD.

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO
With no walls or fences on the Internet, who needs Windows or Gates?